Tow Vehicle Requirements.

  • Do I need electric brakes on my car?

    Yes, but if you don't have electric brakes fitted to your vehicle we have a portable electric brake system available for no additional cost.

    NOTE: This portable unit will work on most vehicles. The computer systems on some (not all) modern vehicles wont allow for the use of a Portable Brake Controller. Should you arrive to pick up a van and this is the case you will not unfortunately be able to hire the van.

  • Do I need tow mirrors?

    Yes, but these are included with your hire van.

  • Do I need Level Rides on my car?

    This will depend on your tow vehicle and the van you are hiring. If required these are available for hire for your van. We can discuss this when you make your booking.

  • How do I run the caravan fridge whilst we are driving?

    To run the caravan fridge whilst you are travelling you will need to have a (grey) Anderson plug fitted onto your vehicle

    We insist you have an Anderson Plug fitted to your vehicle prior to picking up the van. (when fridges defrost the moisture causes expensive damage to cabinetry)
    Note: You cannot run the fridge on gas whilst travelling

  • What sort of trailer plug do I need on my vehicle?

    You will need a 12 or 7 pin flat or 7 pin round trailer plug. We have conversion plug adaptors if needed.
    As mentioned above you will also need an Anderson Plug.

  • How can I find out which caravans my car can tow?

    The towing capacity of your car will be listed on your tow bar ( this is the best method of checking as some vehicles are only fitted with light duty towbars), or on a sticker on the side of the driver's side door or in your cars manual. Our website lists the minimum tow vehicle capacity and towball weight under the specfications section for each caravan. You can also call us anytime and we would be happy to assist.

General Use.

  • Is there a Rollout Awning on the van?

    Roll out awnings are fitted to all vans and are easy to use. We will give you instruction on their use on your pick up day.
    If you want further instruction check out some video clips on this link

  • Can I go 'free' camping?

    All of our vans have the following features that enable free or unpowered camping sites to be used.

    12v LED Lighting, 12v TV / DVD, 12v CD / Radio, Gas cooktop, 3 Way Fridges, 100 Amp Battery System & 120w Solar Panel
    (please note; that air conditioner/heater, power points and microwave will not operate without 240v power)

  • Is there an age limit?

    Yes, you need to be over 25 years of age and under 75 years of age for caravan hire and hold a full Victorian drivers licence (no P Plates)

  • Can I take a caravan or pop-top off road?

    All of our caravans are to be driven on bitumen roads, however, some well-made dirt roads into camp areas are acceptable. Keep speed below 60km/h to avoid costly stone damage to front of van.
    Strictly NO corrugated roads or 4WD tracks. A common sense approach should be taken to ensure no damage to the van so that your security bond is refunded.

  • Are the annexe walls available for the caravan?

    We do not have annexe walls available on our hire vans.

  • If I have any problems, who do I contact?

    You can contact Caravan Hire Co. on 0458 666 091 or 0404 837 114

  • Can I take my pets away?

    Small dogs will be considered. Please discuss PRIOR to hire.

  • Is smoking permitted?

    Smoking is NOT permitted inside Caravan Hire Co. vans.
    Penalties apply.

  • Is the caravan maintained?

    We have all of our caravans professionally serviced and maintained by a local Jayco Service Agent.
    Tyre pressures, wheel nut torque, tyre condition, brake operation. gas bottle connections are also checked the day before your departure to ensure a trouble free holiday.

  • What if i have issues while I'm away

    Having worked for Jayco for over 15 years we have a numerous contacts around Australia and will endeavour to get you back on the road as soon as possible to continue enjoying your holiday.

Pick Ups and Returns.

Costs and Insurance.

  • Is insurance included in the hire?

    All vans have an Australian wide insurance cover and require an insurance bond of $1,200.00 payable before departure.

    We would highly recommend you take out Total Care with RACV or similar to cover Vehicle & Caravan breakdowns.

  • When will I get my bond back?

    After a full inspection of the caravan has been carried out, usually within a few days after dropping the van back.

  • What's included in the van hire?

    All of our vans include at no extra cost, CD/Radio with built in USB port , Flat Screen TV with built in DVD, 120w Solar Panel & 100amp Battery, Air Conditioning, Tow Mirrors & Electric Brake Controller

    Some vans are fitted with bicycle carriers (2)

    They are all fully equipped, you only need to bring linen, bedding, outdoor furniture and personal items.

  • Does my towing vehicle need to be insured?

    Yes it is a requirement that your towing vehicle has a Current Comprehensive Insurance Policy.

    We would highly recommend you take out Total Care with RACV or similar to cover Vehicle & Caravan breakdowns

  • Do I need any other insurance?

    We would strongly recommend that you take out a Total Care road side assist policy through your current motor vehicle insurer to cover any unforeseen breakdowns.
    Ensure it covers Vehicle & Caravan breakdowns, towing etc...

  • What does hiring a Caravan cost?

    Depending on the time of year, duration and size of caravan you want to hire. Hire costs start from $785.00 / week but discounts will apply for long term hires.